Fun Penguin Facts for Kids
There are so many interesting facts about this aquatic bird!
Let’s learn with facts about penguins for kids!
Learning is way more fun with simple, interesting and most importantly easy to remember facts for kids!
Penguins are one of the most amazing (and well loved by kids) birds on our planet – their tuxedo like “style”, their wiggly walking and their super agility under water – I mean what’s not to like? They were always a super popular animal but have become even more popular with the Madagascar franchise (who doesn’t love that commando little cuties?)
Let’s learn something about this awesome animal shall we?
Penguin Facts for Kids
Fun Penguin Facts
- Penguins are flightless birds.
- They have feathers.
- Their wings evolved into flappers.
- Their black and white color serves as camouflage when in water. When predators look at them from bellow they see white and they blend with the water surface and when seen from above they blend with the deep blue.
- They live in the Southern Hemisphere almost exclusively. The Galapagos penguin is the only one that lives north from the equator.
- Emperor penguin is the tallest and Little Blue penguin is the smallest.
- Diving penguins reach average speeds of 6 to 12 kmh / 3.7 to 7.5 mph and can swim even faster when startled.
- Their sliding on their bellies on the snow is called “tobogganing”.
- They can drink salt water.
- Polar bears and penguins don’t live together (bears are on the North Pole).
Fun Penguin Facts for Kids With Free Printables
Free Printable PDF with Penguin Facts
Reading the facts is one thing (and it can be sufficient if your kid is a reading type) but visualising things can be even better. That’s why I’ve created this fun printable with all the facts illustrated to help kids “learn” about them.
Get the fact sheet here
We think you might also like these.